Is that a bug in your yogurt?
4:12 PM | Author: Hyla
I've been told that I'd make a good contestant on some of those reality shows. I'm pretty athletic and very competitive. However, I can't eat stuff. As in bugs, rodents, testicles, etc. I'd be fine with daring stunts but try to make me drink a shake made of grasshoppers and bull testicles...NEVER! Not even for millions and millions. (I'm going somewhere with this.)
Online earlier I saw an article on MSN.com that talks about carmine or cochineal. I quit eating Yoplait yogurt years ago (pre-vegan days) after learning about cochineal, which is a beetle native to Peru and the Canary Islands. The beetles (female) feed on red berries, which accumulate in their stomachs and on unhatched larvae. The bugs are then dried and ground into a powder. It is commonly used as a coloring for yogurt but also used for color in candy, beverages and ice cream. I'm sorry, but GROSS! On top of that, it is currently not labeled on the ingredient list. Typically it is labeled as "artificial color" or "color added". In 2010, the FDA will require that the presence of carmine or cochineal be listed as an ingredient. Good news for people that actually know what that is.
On a brighter note, I bought a new (un) cookbook today... The Complete Book of Raw Food. It has over 400 recipes and tons of hints and tips for preparing raw dishes and meals. I'm excited and inspired!
Have a wonderful Saturday!
"If you touch one thing with deep awareness, you touch everything".
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Namaste
|
This entry was posted on 4:12 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: